A healthy lawn is not only aesthetically pleasing, but it also helps to create a healthy environment for your family and pets. Here are some tips to help you maintain a beautiful and healthy lawn:
healthy lawn tips:
1. Mow high – Set the mower blade between 2½-3 inches in order to reduce stress on grass plants while still keeping the grass short enough so that it looks neat.
2. Water deeply – Water your lawn with 1-1½ inch of water per week through rainfall or irrigation, allowing the water to penetrate deep into the soil instead of simply running off the surface.
3. Fertilize correctly – Feed your lawn with an appropriate fertilizer two times per year, once in spring and once in fall. Make sure to follow the fertilizer’s instructions carefully and always water thoroughly after fertilizing.
4. Aerate regularly – Aeration helps reduce soil compaction and increases oxygen, nutrients, and water movement within the soil. Consider aerating your lawn at least once per year or as needed due to heavy traffic or soil compaction.
5. Use appropriate weed control methods – Control weeds by applying pre-emergent herbicides in spring and post-emergent herbicides for existing weeds during other times of the year. Always read and follow label directions when using any type of herbicide on your lawn.
Raking your lawn in the spring is a great way to get it off on the right foot. It not only helps you to remove any snow mold and debris such as rocks, sticks, leaves, or pinecones that have accumulated over winter, but it also helps promote healthy growth by loosening up the soil and allowing air and nutrients to reach deeper into the grassroots. Additionally, by removing these safety hazards from your lawn, you can make sure your mower runs more smoothly and efficiently. By raking regularly during springtime, you can help keep your lawn looking its best!
Remember that proper mowing practices are essential for keeping a healthy lawn. Make sure you’re cutting no more than one-third of the grass blade at a time and mow frequently enough to keep your lawn trimmed and neat.
By following these healthy lawn tips, you can create an attractive, lush lawn that will remain healthy for years to come!
Click here to learn more about the entire home inspection process.