Sump Backup Tips
Consider installing either a battery or a water-powered back-up for your sump pump. Power failures tend to occur when you can need your sump pump the most, like during thunderstorms.
Here area some other great sump tips:
- Test Sump Pump Regularly – To keep your sump pump in working order, it’s important to test it every few months. This can be done by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit. The make sure that the pump turns on and drains properly.
- Clean Sump Basin – It is also essential to clean the sump basin on a regular basis in order to prevent debris from clogging or jamming the pump. An annual cleaning is recommended. But you can do some basic maintenance yourself such as removing leaves, dirt and other debris with a wet/dry vacuum.
- Install a Battery Backup System – Installing a battery backup can help prevent flooding if the power goes out. It will ensure that your pump will continue working even during power outages.
- Sump Pump Maintenance – Sump pumps require regular maintenance and should be inspected annually for any signs of wear and tear, including broken or leaking hoses.
- Sump Pump Alarms – Sump alarms are devices which alert you when the water has reached levels that are too high for the pump capacity or when there is a power outage.
regular testing and Maintenance
By following these Sump Backup Tips, you can ensure that your sump pump is in good working order and able to protect your property from flooding or any other water-related damage. Regular maintenance, inspections and battery backups will also help keep your sump pump running smoothly for years to come.
Click here to learn more about the entire home inspection process.