Top 5 possession day tips
Taking possession of your new home is a big deal. There are so many things to remember to do on or before the big day. Here are the Top 5 possession day tips.
1. Make sure you have all the necessary documents and paperwork in order before possession day arrives. This includes any purchase agreements, deeds, mortgage documents, and other legal documents related to the property transfer. Contact your realtor and lawyer to confirm this.
2. Change the locks and garage code. It’s important to protect your new home from any potential intruders. Take the time to change the locks and if applicable, the code for the garage door opener. Keypad door locks have become very affordable and very convenient. Installation takes about the same amount of time as changing a normal door lock.
3. Change the toilet seats. This may seem like a minor detail, but it’s important to make sure the toilet seats are all changed so they match your personal preference.
4. Do a thorough walkthrough of the home on possession day to make sure that everything is in order and that any damages or repairs the seller was supposed to take care of have been done. If you spot something wrong, don’t be afraid to ask for it to be fixed. Contact your realtor immediately if there is any new damage tot he home.
5. Don’t forget about your utilities! Make sure you contact your local energy provider ahead of time to ensure that electricity, gas, and/or water will be turned on when you arrive at the new home. This can help minimize any hiccups during move-in day.
By following these tips, you can ensure that possession day goes smoothly and without any unexpected hiccups.
Good luck with your new home!
Click here for more information about home inspections